POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some alien worlds : Re: Some alien worlds Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some alien worlds
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 May 2010 05:25:00
Message: <web.4bde94823d08c812ae92d9930@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:

> I'm going for a bit of a B-movie sci-fi feel with these, let me know what
> you think :)

'Station' and 'Dustland.' Station because is has no stars--which is how such
space images taken from the ISS look. I really like the black nothingness.

'Dustland' because it seems to be the most complex/realistic of the images, and
I like the colors.

(I'm curious about the gas-giant planet's appearance; really HUGE objects that
are far off in the distance show a sort of visual 'compression'. There's really
nothing that we see on earth that would be similar, of course, so it's hard to
visualize. But the 'effect' would, I think, be the same as if you squashed-down
your textured planet in z. (Squashing it in-line with the camera.) OR, placed it
WAY off into space while increasing its size accordingly. The only similar
example I can think of is the planet Saturn, when it's viewed NOT edge-on
through a telescope. It's an experiment I've been meaning to try in POV-Ray, but
haven't gotten around to.)

Ken